when your hands fail you

If you do not bake because there aren't enough in your house to eat it before it goes stale,
and your finger joints, fragile wrists, prevent you from knitting,
and there is no maple sap in your garden's trees, no wild honey from the occassional bee, no lavishment of vegetables,
and if you are achingly far from the scratch of farm grass, or the mist of a shy morning drifting over hills,




and if your shabby never quite looks chic,
and there's not a china tea set to be found for love or money in the whole country,  
and dairy intolerance prevents you from enjoying hot chocolate & devonshire teas, 
but you can not abide the taste of chai, 




if you'll never get to Paris, or travel the rivers wild,
and your fertility ran out before your perfect family size did,
or you failed the intake to be a fireman, lawyer, actor, priest,
and all your indoor pot plants die,
although you tried, 
 



and if your camera won't open to enough light,
your watercolours are kindergarten quality, your blog template amateur
and you can't create the magic of poetry although you love to write,

and if all your paths are paved, the sea miles away, the peace broken by suburban sound,



friend, you are still enough.  

~ ~ ~



paintings by my favourite artist, Jessie M King

not a poem, even though it's centred ... just some thoughts I had this morning after blog-reading and pinterest-viewing. 



15 comments:

  1. I thank heaven for you and for this post!♥

    All the beautiful artwork and photos you share (and your words) enrich my soul like nothing else on the internet.

    That first painting--I adore it. But, my eyesight is so poor, that I thought it was done in needlework (which made me love it even more, but now that it is a 'mere' painting, I don't love it any less).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :-)

      I love Jessie's art, it speaks to me with its delicacy and finely-wrought magic.

      Delete
  2. well...if I'd prayed a prayer or offered an offering for words to make me feel less like nothing today, I couldn't have dreamed up better. I pretended you wrote it just for me, and I cried. Thank you for feeling the warp and weft of the world and writing it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((Hugs))) I did write it for you - for every person reading it who needed it. For all of us, really, but not as a whole - all the individual women sitting infront of their computers, reading and wishing.

      Delete
  3. my heart was saying "yes!" all the way through this.
    beautiful, all of it, and just what i needed today.
    thank-you
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, althought I am sorry you needed it.

      Delete
  4. This made me ponder... if we removed all those who felt like this, and the ones others felt like this about (which happens, sadly), all the "unworthy" people gone from the world..

    how many would be left?

    I wonder what it is in our nature that makes us always evaluate everything and each other. Why haven't we learned to just let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her art too ~ so lovely to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Sarah - appreciate what we have even if our lives aren't picture book perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe not a poem, but your gentle words are poetry - always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just what I needed to read today, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete